Friday 20 July 2012

Feathering my nest..... exhibition at Gleaners Inc.


I delivered some work for an upcoming exhibition at Gleaners inc. the exhibition is part of  Craft Victoria's Craft Cubed festival. I have 2 pieces in the show that references the theme "Feather your Nest".

One piece is titled"Iced Vovos, jam fancies & cups of tea" It's of one of my crazy parrots replete with pleats, poms poms & sequins. I like to think she is squawking mid cackle during a tea party. Its about nesting, being and feeling at home.
Detail of "Iced Vovos, jam fancies & cups of tea"by Sai-Wai Foo
The second piece is a small scale sculpture, titled "Flight of fancy". I am a bit obsessed with bottles and glass at the moment; also about catching a moment in time like a souvenir. Clearly my fixation on snow domes and tourist kitsch is paying off.
It's a small black bird in flight over pleated clouds/petals made of book papers in a small glass dome with a champagne cork. (It's expanding on my artist book piece I made recently - which will be on  display at  Artisan Books as part of the 7th Annual Artist Book Exhibition, 11th of August - 8th of September)
 
"Flight of fancy" by Sai-Wai Foo
I think it maybe a a bit of a comment on my hording of materials too. I see things pop them away, it maybe awhile until use them but there is some method in my squirrel like ways!
The pieces will be on show at Gleaners Inc at the Stairway to Nowhere Gallery as part of the Craft Victoria's Craft Cubed festival .
Feather your Nest
at Gleaners Inc
2 Ballarat St. Brunswick, 
Victoria 3071, Australia

The show opens on Friday, August the 3rd at 5.30pm and will have drinks and nibbles and discount shopping on the night! The show runs through to August the 31st so pop by!

 Love Miss Foo XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment